Sunday, March 25, 2012

Can not create maintenance plan

I have had two SQL 2005 Stnd x64bit servers running without any problems for several weeks now. I just setup two new ones last night. One the two new ones, I get an error message when I try to create a Maintenance Plan. I also get an error when I try to create a plan using the Wizard.

The error message is:
TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

The action you attempted to perform on a remote instance of SQL Server has failed
because the action requires a SQL Server component that is not installed on the
remote computer. To proceed, install SQL Server 2005 Management Tools on the remote
computer, and then try again. For more information, see "How to: Install SQL Server
2005 (Setup)" in SQL Server 2005 Books Online, or find the article on MSDN at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083 . (ObjectExplorer)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083

Note: SQL Agent is running. So far, everything else seems to be working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

jtwDitto -- same problem, same server type. I observed that it was accessible prior to SP1 but not afterwards. Post-SP1 hotfixes did not solve problem either.|||

Can you make sure you have installed Integrated Service as it should be installed in order to create maintenance plans from the SQL Manager.

Thanks

|||

Hi,

I have the same issue - post sp1 on 2005 64bit. I was under the impression that sp1 removed the need for SSIS when creating maintenance plans.

I just go round in circles trying to reinstall the management tools - but it wont let me as the install cd is now an old version (RTM) and you cant slipstream SP1... do i have to install SSIS?

thanks

Luke

|||

Yes you do need to have SSIS installed to get all the right components to Maintance plans working. This is one of the fixes targeted for SP2 but for right now you need to install SSIS.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment