Sunday, March 25, 2012

Can not connect to SQL Server 2005 Developer edition remotely

I setup a SQL Server 2005 Developer edition, which is bundled with Visual Studio .NET 2005 Professional edition. The SQL Server authentication mode is enabled in this database server. But when I try to connect it from another PC using SQL Server authentication, it failed. Is it a limitation on the developer edition?

Hi,

although you didn′t post the erro rmessage, I assume that remote connectivity is not enabled, change the remote flag which can be see in this screen:

http://www.sqlserver2005.de/SharedFiles/Remoteconnection.jpg

HTH, jens suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

Hi,

I still can't login remotely to the server, the error message is:

Cannot connect to 137.xxx.xx.xx\STD2005
error: 26 - Error Locating Sever/Instance Specified

I setup a MSSQL Server 2005 Standard edition on a remote computer 137.xxx.xx.xx (I'm sure the network has no any problem, since this remote computer has a SQL2000 server that I can use the Enterprise Manager in my PC to connect to it), and the named instance called STD2005. I try to connect to it through the Management Studio in my PC, using the sa account and one acccount that I created before, both not work. Any idea?

|||Hi,

so you are usinga named instance. I assume you didn′t put the named instance on the defaulport, which is as a default used to connect to a sql server instance. If the named instances has another port you have to specify it with the syntax:

Servername\InstanceName,Portnumber

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||Also: Can we rule out a firewall problem? Is the SQL Browser service running on the server machine?

Best,
Nils Loeber
|||

In SQL 2005 Developer Edition TCP\IP is disabled by default. You can go to Server Configuration and enable it. I hope that helps.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment